Friday 30 July 2010

If you don't like it, don't read/listen to/watch/look at/do it! - A rant.

You know what annoys me? When someone complains about something, and somebody else replies "Well if you don't like it, don't read/listen to/watch/look at/do it!" as if it's really that simple. This has become the most common comeback to whenever someone says they don't like something, and it really irritates me.

Example. You may have heard the song 'Airplanes' (I don't actually remember who it's by, but people have constantly been putting the lyrics to it as their status on Facebook for the last few weeks.) I hadn't actually heard the song, but I'd seen the lyrics to it on loads of people's Facebooks, so I decided to look it up to see what the fuss was all about. I found it on YouTube, and listened to it. I didn't like it, so I posted a comment on the video saying something like "I don't like this song. Why are so many people putting it as their facebook status?" and almost instantly I was flooded with responses saying "if u dnt lyk it, dnt listen 2 it!!!!!!" and similar things. Thanks, I'd never thought of that. I'm probably never going to listen to the song again, but they don't seem to realise that. and the only reason I listened to it in the first place was to see if I liked it or not. I didn't know I wasn't going to like it which is why I listened to it.

There was another time that I saw this happen recently. I was looking at some of my friends photos on Facebook, and I came across a picture of her where her boyfriend had left a, um, slightly inappropriate comment. And this other girl commented "Ew! i didn't need to read that!" To which he replied "well if you don't like it, don't read it." Um, SHE DIDN'T KNOW SHE WASN'T GOING TO LIKE IT BEFORE SHE READ IT. And she can't exactly un-read it now.

Ugh. I dunno, it just annoys me.

In other news, I have accumulated a ton of books that I haven't read yet, but I really don't know what one to read next. :/ I'm kind of in the mood to re-read A Series of Unfortunate Events, but I've got loads of books I haven't read yet so I don't want to waste time reading books I've already read. This is the biggest dillema I've ever had to face in, like, my whole life. Some of them are ones I bought a while ago because I wanted to read them but I haven't got around to it yet, but now I've gotten so used to seeing them on the shelf that they just seem boring and familiar already even though I haven't read them. :( My life is so interesting. Sigh.

The world is quiet here...

F

No comments:

Post a Comment